Thursday, August 27, 2009

Apple of my eye


Apples.

So red, so shinny, so smooth. Beautiful aren't they?

But what hides beneath that beautiful exterior, is a mystery which can only be uncovered with some risk.

And of course, some apples do show signs on the exterior which indicate what they may be like inside. Oh yes they do. Dents and dimples, little specks and darkened marks. You gotta be smart when you choose them apples.

Some apples may look beautiful on the outside but they're rotten to the core. Oh poor Snow White and the beautiful red poison apple. Such cases are inevitable because by nature we are attracted to beautiful things.

But there are some apples with dents and dimples, specks and marks on the surface. You think that you should give them a chance. You ask yourself, what if it's just as delicious on the inside? I mean, people do say don't judge a book by its cover. So I shouldn't judge the apple by its skin, right? Boy oh boy do those old sayings screw people's life up sometimes.

Oh but some apples are just as rotten on the inside as they seem to be on the outside and I have tasted the foulest of them all. Ok, maybe ONE of the foulest of them all. I won't deny that there are worse apples out there. Just that this rotten one (on the outside and inside, mind you) left such a ground shaking impression on me.

I wonder, how would such an apple survive. Since it's rotten inside out, who would take on such a noble task to sacrifice oneself to eat it and spread its seeds? At least if the apple is beautiful on the outside, it still stands a chance or perhaps I'm just being superficial OR I could be realistc.

Oh yes, you gotta be very careful when you choose apples. Some are just so damaged they shouldn't be around people. That's why at times you shouldn't ridicule your mother's advice because after all she has seen many more apples in her life, hasn't she?

4 comments:

  1. reminds me of apple crumble which reminds me of our swensens outing..

    *emo*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples like all apples have once been perfect and unharmed. Whether they are red, green, sweet or sour it all depends on their ripening process. Whether they are speckled or bruised are most probably due to mishandling and then misunderstood.

    In comes judgement, and whichever apple you choose to take the bite from will bear fruit in it's own ways. It's a risk to take and bid you luck in choosing the right apple tree to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha.. I want apple crumble too Jin and Swenson's outings! hahaha.. :)

    Sighs.. I wish it was some sort of misunderstanding too. But I've certainly never come across such a bruised fruit. I for one won't be taking a bite despite the fact that the apple has in many ways poisoned me. Ugh.. can't wait for it to roll right out of my life.

    ReplyDelete